Is something organic if it is shipped across the country? What about the fuel that is used and how that affects our environment, not to mention the freshness of the food and a myriad of other factors. Over the last few years i have been reading everything i can get my hands on to help me answer these and other questions so sit back, relax and explore where my quest has taken me thus far.

Sunday, June 17, 2012

RAW diet re-do

I am having a re-commitment ceremony with myself. I am re-committing to trying a raw diet. It's summer, Vermont has phenomenal fresh food resources and if I start slow and plan some of my meals in advance I feel like this will not be an exciting challenge as opposed to a stressful one.

This morning I was awake early so of course I started to cruise around the internet in search of local raw foodies. I found a bunch of really nice resources and I even found a meet-up group that gets together here in Burlington. As you know from previous posts I have two raw cookbooks and more kitchen appliances than are really necessary. I feel prepared to that end but am I really prepared? This is a huge lifestyle change, it's more than just giving up meat, cheese and other foods I have had an intense relationship with all my life. It's giving up the social aspect of dining out and not over thinking the menu, it's me becoming one of "those people" who have special dietary needs.

I am not making this choice because I am ill and need to make a change in order to save my own life, I am making this choice because I honestly believe that I will completely enjoy it. I want to be healthy and not feel tired, I want to look 30 when I am 60. I want to head off any potential illnesses before they can even present them selves to my body. I WANT TO BE HEALTHY DAMNIT!

I found a really nice grocery list online which I think will help guide me in getting the core foods I need in order to get started. I recognize almost all of them and am looking forward to the new items that I will be eating.

http://www.thebestofrawfood.com/vegan-shopping-list.html

The above link is a nice resource, it is where I found the grocery list.

http://www.rawfoodrecipes.com/

As you can guess a simple search will pull up a million raw diet web sites. Be sure to do proper research.

Below is a local link, she has classes that might be fun to check out too:

http://www.vt-fiddle.com/

Sunday's Smoothie
Today I started simple with a smoothie of my own creation.

1 C baby spinach
1/2 C plain greek yogurt (I prefer chobani)
1/2 C water (this smoothie very thick, i felt water was the best choice for me)
1/4 C blueberries
1 Bosc pear
1 Lemon

 I had extra so I put it into jelly jars so that i have smoothies for the next 2 mornings (no fuss, just smoothie).

Also did you know that lemons and limes promote balanced alkaline levels in the body? I learned that today ;)

Yours in good health
~CM


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List