Is something organic if it is shipped across the country? What about the fuel that is used and how that affects our environment, not to mention the freshness of the food and a myriad of other factors. Over the last few years i have been reading everything i can get my hands on to help me answer these and other questions so sit back, relax and explore where my quest has taken me thus far.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

RAW day 1

Dan has joined me on this raw journey making it more fun and interesting since I have someone to share it with. On Sunday we did some shopping for fresh fruits, veggies, herbs, spices, grains and nuts. While shopping was super fun (yes, I love the grocery store) "cooking" up new recipes was even more fun!

For dinner I just did a bunch of small plates so we could sample different recipes. Here is what I made, I will add the recipes at the end.
almond spread (it was supposed to seem like cheese, but really i didn't get it to the right consistency so let's just be real and call it what it is, DELICIOUS almond spread. This went quite well inside a fresh tomato.
We also had pizza rolls which were absolutely divine! And I discovered that I like zucchini, YAY new veggie to eat!!!
I made some "soup" for us, it was called avocado island consomme. Dan was a big fan of it but I thought the flavors were a little too strong. My beautiful avocados just kind of got lost in the mix, literally.

This meal was actually very filling, I did not finish everything and did not find myself snacking later that evening either. The things we are both enjoying about this diet is that we don't feel like we are giving up anything in order to eat this way. Unlike a vegan diet where it seemed like everything we did was wrong and we were constantly hungry and unsatisfied with our meals. This diet does not take foods out of our lives that we enjoy it just changes the method of preparation and perspective of what is really necessary.

Here are our recipes:
1 C almonds (soak for a few hours, remove skins)
2 tbsp lemon
1/2 C water
pinch salt
pinch garlic powder
pinch herbs de provence

Blend in food processor until tiny. I am sure that if you blend until smooth it will be more "cheezy"

Pizza Rolls
Spread:
1/2 C sundried tomatoes soaked (save water for later)
1 tbsp pesto
splash olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp tomato water
splash lemon juice

Pizza Roll:
thinly sliced zucchini

Mix all ingredients together for spread and chop in food processor. Spread on zucchini slices ad put in food dehydrator at 135 degrees F for minimum 1 hour. for crispier leave in longer.

Avocado Island Consomme
1 bunch celery
1-2 lemons or limes juiced
1/4 C EVOO
pinch celery salt
pinch garlic powder
1/2-1 shallot depending on potency
 
1 ripe avocado

Combine all but avocado in food processor until smooth. dice avocado and place into soup bowl. Pour consomme over the avocado and enjoy.

I adapted these recipes from the book "The raw food gourmet" by: Gabrielle Chavez.





No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List