Is something organic if it is shipped across the country? What about the fuel that is used and how that affects our environment, not to mention the freshness of the food and a myriad of other factors. Over the last few years i have been reading everything i can get my hands on to help me answer these and other questions so sit back, relax and explore where my quest has taken me thus far.

Sunday, September 20, 2009

The great ice cream contest!

Yes, we did, we bought yet another kitchen toy.  Thank goodness that the biggest room in our apartment is the kitchen or I think we may be in a bit of trouble.  I am very adamant about multi-use appliances and do my best to purchase them whenever possible, our kitchen-aid mixer has the ability to add attachments to it, I wanted an ice cream machine.  It arrived and I popped the bowl into the freezer before I left for work.  Yesterday we had a free evening to begin our madness.  I decided to go with a frozen yogurt, made from home made yogurt I made over the weekend with fresh whole milk and cream.  Mr. Mouse went with a good old fashioned ice cream recipe using the same farm fresh milk but in 2%.  He also (sneaky guy) shredded fresh coconut and used a little bit of Nutella for flavoring.  He got the first spin in our new toy, it's a neat thing that ice cream maker and I must say his ice cream came out really delicious.


For my recipe I did a peach vanilla frozen yogurt.  Once the yogurt was strained I popped it into the freezer, I used 3 farm fresh peaches which were just perfectly ripe, 2 tsp of vanilla flavoring and about 1/8c of raw sugar.  I boiled it and pureed it with the hand blender to get everything to a consistent texture.  I then popped that into the freezer to cool down.  Once the ice cream bowl was sufficiently re-frozen I pulled all my frosty cold ingredients together and popped them into the mixer then just let it go slow and low for about 20 minutes.  I think thoroughly chilling everything really helped with keeping the bowl frozen and making my yogurt creamy.  It was delicious.  The next day we re-tasted recipes, Mr. Mouse graciously said that my recipe won, I think he as just being nice, they were both really good and easy to make.  The only thing I did not like about both of them was that they pretty much froze solid once in the freezer, instead of staying creamy, I need to do a little research on why that happened, all in all, I look forward to making all different flavors of home made ice cream, yogurt and sorbets!


Until then
~CM


p.s. Below is the recipe I started off with, then I altered it according to my preferences, I got it from the following web site: 
http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/a-frozen-yogurt-recipe-to-rival-pinkberrys-recipe.html


Vanilla Frozen Yogurt Recipe
Heidi notes: First off, remember it is important to use good-quality whole-milk yogurt. The version in David's book is Vanilla Frozen Yogurt. This time around I skipped out on the vanilla, opting for straight, bright white yogurt with the sweetness playing off the tang of the yogurt. I also used slightly less sugar than called for here, more like 2/3 cup - but you can go either way depending on what you like.
3 cups (720g) strained yogurt (see below) or Greek-style yogurt
3/4 cup (150g) sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)

Mix together the yogurt, sugar, and vanilla (if using). Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Refrigerate 1 hour.
Freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
To make 1 cup (240g) of strained yogurt, line a mesh strainer with a few layers of cheese cloth. then scrape 16 ounces or 2 cups (480g) of plain whole-milk yogurt into the cheesecloth. Gather the ends and fold them over the yogurt, then refrigerate for at least 6 hours. So, for the above recipe start with and strain 6 cups of yogurt.
Makes about 1 quart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List