Is something organic if it is shipped across the country? What about the fuel that is used and how that affects our environment, not to mention the freshness of the food and a myriad of other factors. Over the last few years i have been reading everything i can get my hands on to help me answer these and other questions so sit back, relax and explore where my quest has taken me thus far.

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Lie food

They look real enough.....
So as part of my new eating habits I am cutting back on meat.  I bought some meatless products to try thinking that if they taste good enough I can make them part of my normal rotation.  Last night I tried meatless buffalo wings, essentially it was tofu with hot sauce and I knew that going into it but thought - hey they look like wings, if they taste like wings this could end up being a boneless grand slam!

So I read the directions and started to make the wings, small problem is that our oven is still not working so I had to do it all stove top. The instructions stated, heat oil, add packet of hot sauce mixture.  Done, I let it heat nicely and sizzle a little and threw the "wings" in to....um.....cook?  I let them go slow and low to try to crispy them up.

When I took them off the heat and plated them they looked pretty much the same as when I put them in, chicken wing shaped tofu.  I took a bite......YUCK!  The tofu didn't suck in the hot sauce flavor as real wings would and I got way too much of that bland tofu taste.  Also the consistency was all wrong, if I am substituting meat for something like this I want to be genuinely happy with the decision and not feel like I have given up something great for something inferior.  With this meal, it was just not the case.  I was only able to eat one before I decided to stop torturing myself.

I have more meatless dishes to try, hopefully I will have better luck with them.

To the great wide meatless AND BEYOND!!!!!!

~CM

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List