Is something organic if it is shipped across the country? What about the fuel that is used and how that affects our environment, not to mention the freshness of the food and a myriad of other factors. Over the last few years i have been reading everything i can get my hands on to help me answer these and other questions so sit back, relax and explore where my quest has taken me thus far.

Friday, January 7, 2011

Coconut yogurt a success!

I tried the coconut milk yogurt this morning and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was AWESOME!!!!  I set the yogurt machine up to run for 10 hours but hubby accidentally unplugged it somewhere around the five hour mark and I did not catch it until way later.  I decided to just throw it into the fridge and see what it became.  Even with that hiccup it was creamy and had that yogurt tang that I love.  The shredded coconut that I added gave it great texture too, I will definitely be making this again!

As a re-cap here is the recipe i made:


Ingredients:
1 can coconut milk (lite or regular)
3 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
1 tsp guar gum (thickener)
1tbsp yogurt starter or probiotic packet (since this is a half recipe and my probiotic packs are for larger batches I opted for the tbsp of yogurt starter)

Equipment:
SS Spoon
1-2 qt pot (for this batch 1 qt is fine)
Thermometer
Yogurt making machine or something comprible

Directions:
Sterilize everything (i boiled water in my teapot and poured it over the yogurt containers and other equipment.
Boil coconut milk to approx. 160 degrees F  stir regularly
turn off heat
Add shredded coconut and guar gum stir ALOT
Let cool down to about 110 degrees F before adding probiotic and stir again
Pour into yogurt containers and follow instructions for your machine, i am letting my yogurt "YO" for about 10 hours and will check on it then.

Again, 5 hours ended up being fine for this, I iwll try for longer next time to see what the difference is.

Happy yo-ing!


~CM

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List