Is something organic if it is shipped across the country? What about the fuel that is used and how that affects our environment, not to mention the freshness of the food and a myriad of other factors. Over the last few years i have been reading everything i can get my hands on to help me answer these and other questions so sit back, relax and explore where my quest has taken me thus far.

Friday, February 11, 2011

The simple things in life

Hello out there!  I haven't posted here in awhile and wanted to say hi and post a little something fun.  This is in ANTICIPATION of warmer weather (thanks to that no good lying gofer).  I was sitting here looking at two very forlorn bananas and trying to decide what to do with them.  Then I remembered the healthy popsicles my mom used to make for us as kids. 

The simplest thing to do is remove the peel, cut the banana in half and place a popsicle stick into it, wrap in waxed paper and freeze!  That's it but they are so tasty on a hot day, they are sweet and still healthy, to this day a banana is still one of my favorite snacks to eat.

A couple of other variations would be frozen yogurt with mashed fruit.  Use regular yogurt cut your fruit of choice  and mix into the yogurt, place into small cups (I used dixie cups today) place a popsicle stick in and freeze.  Once it is ready you can peel the paper off and enjoy.  you can add additional ingredients like coconut, wheat germ or even grapenuts for texture which is something I really like to do.
< these are my yogurt pops :)

A third variation would be juice pops.  This is literally as simple as you would think, select juice, pour into small cups, cover with tin foil and insert popsicle stick.  Again, fruit can be added to your preferences.

You can also purchase little popsicle maker thingies like this one >
which is available at Ikea.

Another nice thing to do if you have fruit that may not survive for too many days is to pop the fruit into the freezer (especially berries) then use them to top your favorite yogurt snack or even those cute little pound cakes.  The berries will keep for a very long time (though not forever as I learned the hard way).  Oh and they are also great for smoothies and "adult" drinks ;)


Alright folks stay "cool"
~CM
















No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List