Is something organic if it is shipped across the country? What about the fuel that is used and how that affects our environment, not to mention the freshness of the food and a myriad of other factors. Over the last few years i have been reading everything i can get my hands on to help me answer these and other questions so sit back, relax and explore where my quest has taken me thus far.

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Sprout Farmming, Round 2.1


Well, my last round of sprouting was not too successful. I am not sure if the seeds were too old or if I did something wrong in the process. They seemed to start out alright but then they all acquired a sort of pungent odor which slowly got worse and worse until I just had to pitch them or risk some sort of weird sprout related illness. The sunflower sprouts actually never opened up fully. The broccoli sprouts did open but the texture was all wrong and then the odor started and the clover sprouts, did the best but got mushy. We have started a new round of sprouting experiments. This week we will be trying to grow winter wheat, garbanzo's and green pea's. The lil' darlings are soaking as I type. Once their 8-12 hour bath is done we will transfer them into the draining bowls and rinse them three times per day for 3-4 days. Hopefully this round will be more successful.



Sprouts Day 2


Sprouts Day 3


Sprouts Day 5 and beyond


The new kids in their sprout bath.
Top is green pea, bot. lt. is winter wheat
and bot. rt. is garbanzo.

I am hoping for better luck on this round.

Signing off
CM

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List