Is something organic if it is shipped across the country? What about the fuel that is used and how that affects our environment, not to mention the freshness of the food and a myriad of other factors. Over the last few years i have been reading everything i can get my hands on to help me answer these and other questions so sit back, relax and explore where my quest has taken me thus far.

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Butcher, baker, candlestick maker????

I woke up today and thought "Hey, I think I will bake something." Be forewarned that I am not normally a baker but I know the basics. We have some delicious fruit that I got from the market which I wanted to incorporate into my recipe so I started my search for something palatable. What I found came pretty close to what was available in my house and what I had in mind, I have copied/pasted the actual recipe then below it the recipe with my changes. Some major changes I made which I generally do make is that I cut the sugar out (the fruit is sweet enough) and I substituted the butter for high heat sunflower oil, I have found that it lends quite well as a substitute and does not leave a taste like olive oil can, also olive oil is not made for high heat cooking so i try to avoid using it for oven applications. I only used whole wheat flour instead of half w/w and half white as the recipe recommends - why use cheap unhealthy white flour when whole wheat is available?

Apple Cheese Quickbread

INGREDIENTS

  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and shredded
  • 4 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the honey and eggs. In a separate bowl, sift together the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Add the flour mixture to the butter and egg mixture; mix until combined. Fold in the apple, cheese and walnuts. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
  3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Turn the loaf out onto a wire rack and let cool completely.
This recipe was graciously copied from the link below.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Apple-Cheese-Quick-Bread/Detail.aspx

The City Mouse Version

INGREDIENTS

  • 1/2 cup Sunflower Oil (high heat)
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour (I double sifted this)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 Fuji apples - peeled, cored and shredded
  • 2 Fresh Apricots, chopped fine
  • 5 triangles of baby bell light swiss (my secret weakness, it would have been 6 triangles.....but i ate one.......)
  • 3/4 cup shredded cheddar (hey i'm a mouse! i love cheese)
  • 1/2 cup chopped almonds
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ginger
DIRECTIONS
I followed the same directions as above.

Ok my beautiful little loaf it baking as I write, we shall see if it's a success or a complete flop shortly.

Wish me luck
~CM

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List