Is something organic if it is shipped across the country? What about the fuel that is used and how that affects our environment, not to mention the freshness of the food and a myriad of other factors. Over the last few years i have been reading everything i can get my hands on to help me answer these and other questions so sit back, relax and explore where my quest has taken me thus far.

Monday, May 25, 2009

NOT Honest Food

When did food become so complicated? I find myself asking this questions more and more. Last night i was eating a Popsicle and thinking just this very thing. It was a fruit popsicle, coconut to be exact, so i naturally thought that i had found myself a nice healthy treat to munch on to cool off on such a hot day.

Oh but it was not so! The first ingredient? Water, funny because i thought surely it would have been oh i don't know COCONUT! Next came milk fat and non milk fat, whatever the reason for those i have no idea, and just what is "non-milk" fat? Third, my favorite ingredient, it shows up in everything these days and has absolutely no nutritional value and no business being in my food -
high fructose corn syrup! Because, you kow, coconut is not sweet enough!!!! It is not until the fourth (count it 4th!) ingredient that coconut is even mentioned. then there is a slew of various "gums" and preservatives which follow my sad little 4th ingredient.

If i were to take a stab at making a coconut popsicle in place of plain old water i would try using coconut water, it is incredibly healthy and a natural electrolyte replacement drink (instead of gatorade) instead of milk fat i would use coconut milk, then i would use shredded coconut. And i would stop there! No high fructose corn syrup, no "gums" and no preservatives. Now THAT would be a coconut popsicle!

Hmmm maybe i will give this a try.

Signing off

A very frusterated City Mouse

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List