Is something organic if it is shipped across the country? What about the fuel that is used and how that affects our environment, not to mention the freshness of the food and a myriad of other factors. Over the last few years i have been reading everything i can get my hands on to help me answer these and other questions so sit back, relax and explore where my quest has taken me thus far.

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Lip balm, lotion and soap, oh my!

I have been a very busy little mouse the past couple of days. Yesterday I got up and made a batch of almond lip balm. I even have the cute little lip balm tubes (very professional of me)! It turned out great! There are a couple of consistencies I need to figure out in order to make it the right hardness / silkiness etc. It may be a matter of packaging it into a different container to make this particular recipe work well. This is an extremely moisturizing lip balm, but it's a little bit mushy and I left a tub of it in our warm bedroom this morning and it kind of melted a little bit. Something that I think can be changed with a little tweaking. I will try to use the hand blender next time, I think that if it had been mixed a little longer at a more brisk pace it would have had a more consistent texture. Even though I added almond flavoring, it did not come through, the raw honey overpowered all the other flavors, next time I will make a batch without honey to see if the almond flavoring comes through then.

This morning I made a small batch of lotion (5 ounces total). It turned out great. I made it with unrefined, virgin coconut oil and it just completely reminds me of summer! I mixed it well with the hand blender and bottled it into 1 oz bottles. The consistency is great, creamy, luxurious and extremely moisturizing! When I first put it into the little bottles if looked like it was trying to separate, I shook all of the bottles really well and put 2 into the fridge, 2 in the freezer and left one out to see if temperature made them set up differently, I did not notice that one set better than the other. Over all I am happy with this product.

After that I prepped the kitchen to make some cold process soap. I admit I was a little nervous to be handling chemicals and Mr. Mouse assisted me in this little experiment. Really I think he was trying to assure that I would not cause an explosion which would leave us homeless and me without eyebrows. It was great to have an extra set of hands and eyes. I made a very simple 1lb batch which did not have any additional essential oils, colors or preservatives in it, I wanted to reduce the chance of outside variables. I read through a couple of books prior to doing this and the recipe I used is in "The Everything Soapmaking Book" by Alicia Grosso, this book is a great tool, I recommend it for anyone who is interested. My soap has to set up for 2 days, then I can release it from the molds and cut it. At that point it will be another 4 weeks before it is mild enough to use. Oh! I hate waiting! But I am very excited to see what the outcome will be. As for the actual making of the soap, we got through it without any major problems or accidents. I almost lost a finger but it was my fault, I forgot to unplug the hand blender before trying to get the extra soap batter out. (shame on me!)

Ok, well I must get my products out to my ever helpful and willing "lab mouses" to see what they all think. More on that later.

~CM

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List