Is something organic if it is shipped across the country? What about the fuel that is used and how that affects our environment, not to mention the freshness of the food and a myriad of other factors. Over the last few years i have been reading everything i can get my hands on to help me answer these and other questions so sit back, relax and explore where my quest has taken me thus far.

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Indoor Gardening

Well our indoor gardening system has exploded with greens!  We originally planted 2 types of basil, mint, chives, thyme, dill and parsley.  We swapped out the dill and parsley for some micro-greens and everything is growing quite well.  A couple of notes on this growing system. 
1. the front plants will grow faster than the back plants so we moved things around to have some equal opportunity growing. 
2. there are "nutrient tablets" that some with this, we tried to grow our plants without using them, but they would not grow with water and grow lights alone.  After speaking with some people who seemed to have some pretty decent plant knowledge it was decided that the tablets may not kill us and without them our little plants would not survive.


The system is actually quite easy to clean which I was not too sure about but for the micro greens I am not sure if enough would grow out of the two pods that we have set up now, I would not want to dedicate the whole planter to micro greens however so we will just have to see what works best. 


Over the weekend I used some of the basil to make a home made pasta sauce, when I cut the basil it smelled GREAT! Really appetizing and basily,  it was great in the sauce.  We are planning on making spring rolls and using the mint for that meal, the mint is kind of going everywhere at the moment, if it gets much bigger I will also make a nice mint iced tea with it.


All in all this growing system has been successful and a good purchase for us, I think that it will be great to have fresh herbs and greens throughout the winter, that is generally when I need them more for sauces and soups and they are either scarce or over priced.


Well until next time.
~A very herby CM

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List