Is something organic if it is shipped across the country? What about the fuel that is used and how that affects our environment, not to mention the freshness of the food and a myriad of other factors. Over the last few years i have been reading everything i can get my hands on to help me answer these and other questions so sit back, relax and explore where my quest has taken me thus far.

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Sprouts!


We are sprout farmers!

Well not exactly farmers, we have no land and no garden, heck we live in an apartment in the middle of Brooklyn. But still we grew sprouts and it only took 3 days! They look great, fluffy, green and delicious.

I stumbled upon this last weekend when we were at the store and I wanted to buy seeds of some sort and try to grow something. Apparently sprouts are the easiest thing in the world to grow, they did not need dirt or and fancy prep. We had to rinse them and drain them three times per day and then expose them to sunlight on the fourth day. Then viola! We had sprouts. I will include a link below which has good information on sprouts themselves. Apparently they are extremely nutritious, they continue to gain vitamins after being harvested. We chose not to refrigerate ours so that they can continue to develop. The thicker stemmed ones taste very much like green beans to me and I love green beans.

There are some other seedling packets at the store that I will be getting to experiment with, but for now I am happy with the sprouts and can't wait to throw them into a salad or wrap and munch away.

More on the "farming" another day!
City Mouse

p.s. here's the link: http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/sprouts.htm

of course i am sure there are many others, i thought this one was pretty informative.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List